Support our educational content for free when you purchase through links on our site. Learn more
The highest selling video game of all time is Minecraft, with over 238.0 million units sold since its release in 2011. It has surpassed other popular games like GTA 5, Tetris (EA), and Wii Sports. Minecraft’s immense popularity can be attributed to its creative gameplay, endless possibilities, and a dedicated community of players.
Table of Contents
- Quick Answer
- Quick Tips and Facts
- Top Selling Video Games of All Time
- The Success of Minecraft
- Esports vs. Traditional Sports
- Recommended Links
- Reference Links
Quick Tips and Facts
- Minecraft is the highest selling video game of all time, with over 238.0 million units sold.
- It was released in 2011 and has since gained a massive following worldwide.
- Minecraft’s success can be attributed to its open-ended gameplay, allowing players to build and explore their own virtual worlds.
- The game is available on multiple platforms, including PC, consoles, and mobile devices.
- Minecraft has a dedicated community of players who create and share their own custom content, further enhancing the game’s popularity.
Top Selling Video Games of All Time
When it comes to the highest selling video games of all time, Minecraft reigns supreme. Since its release in 2011, Minecraft has sold over 238.0 million units across various platforms. This open-world sandbox game allows players to build and explore their own virtual worlds, making it incredibly popular among gamers of all ages.
While Minecraft takes the top spot, there are several other games that have achieved impressive sales numbers. Here are some of the top-selling video games of all time:
- Minecraft – With over 238.0 million units sold, Minecraft has become a cultural phenomenon and a household name in the gaming industry.
- Grand Theft Auto V – This action-adventure game developed by Rockstar Games has sold over 110 million copies worldwide. Its immersive open-world gameplay and engaging storyline have captivated players.
- Tetris (EA) – Tetris, a classic puzzle game, has sold over 100 million copies since its release. Its addictive gameplay and simple yet challenging mechanics have made it a timeless favorite.
- Wii Sports – As a pack-in game for the Nintendo Wii console, Wii Sports has sold over 82.9 million copies. Its intuitive motion controls and fun multiplayer experience made it a hit among casual gamers.
- PUBG: Battlegrounds – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, commonly known as PUBG, has sold over 70 million copies. This battle royale game popularized the genre and paved the way for other similar games.
- Mario Kart 8 – The eighth installment in the Mario Kart series, Mario Kart 8, has sold over 42.8 million copies. Its fun and competitive racing gameplay have made it a staple for Nintendo fans.
- Super Mario Bros. – This iconic platformer has sold over 40.2 million copies since its release. It introduced players to the beloved character Mario and set the standard for future platforming games.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 – Developed by Rockstar Games, Red Dead Redemption 2 has sold over 38 million copies. Its immersive open-world Western setting and gripping narrative have captivated players.
- Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow – The original Pokémon games for the Game Boy have collectively sold over 31.38 million copies. These games introduced players to the world of Pokémon and started a global phenomenon.
- Terraria – This sandbox adventure game has sold over 35 million copies. It offers players the freedom to explore, build, and fight in a procedurally generated world.
The Success of Minecraft
Minecraft’s success can be attributed to several factors that have resonated with players worldwide. Here are some key reasons why Minecraft has become the highest selling video game of all time:
- Endless Creativity: Minecraft offers players a virtually limitless sandbox to build and create their own worlds. The game’s block-based mechanics allow for intricate and imaginative constructions, from simple houses to sprawling cities.
- Exploration and Adventure: The game’s open-world nature encourages exploration, with players discovering new biomes, caves, and structures. Minecraft’s procedurally generated worlds ensure that no two playthroughs are the same.
- Community and Customization: Minecraft has a dedicated community of players who create and share their own custom content, including mods, texture packs, and mini-games. This thriving community has contributed to the game’s longevity and popularity.
- Cross-Platform Availability: Minecraft is available on multiple platforms, including PC, consoles, and mobile devices. This accessibility has allowed players to enjoy the game on their preferred platform, further expanding its reach.
- Educational Value: Minecraft has been embraced by educators as a tool for teaching various subjects, including coding, architecture, and teamwork. Its educational potential has made it a popular choice in classrooms around the world.
Esports vs. Traditional Sports
While the highest selling video games of all time showcase the popularity of gaming, it’s worth exploring the comparison between esports and traditional sports. Esports, or competitive video gaming, has seen significant growth in recent years. However, it still has a long way to go to match the valuation and popularity of traditional sports leagues.
Esports companies have grown quickly in value, with TSM (Team SoloMid) being the most valuable esports company in 2020, valued at $410 million. Despite this, esports companies are still far behind major league sports teams in terms of valuation. The maturation of esports may lead to easier comparisons with traditional sports leagues in the future.
Esports companies have diverse revenue streams, with some generating more than 50% of their revenue from outside of esports. This highlights the potential for esports to expand beyond gaming and attract a wider audience.
What is the biggest selling video game of all time?
The biggest selling video game of all time is Minecraft, with over 238.0 million units sold since its release in 2011.
What are the top 10 selling games of all time?
The top 10 selling games of all time include Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto V, Tetris (EA), Wii Sports, PUBG: Battlegrounds, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Bros., Red Dead Redemption 2, Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow, and Terraria.
What are the 3 top selling video games of all time?
The top 3 selling video games of all time are Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto V, and Tetris (EA).
What is the number 1 most bought game?
The number 1 most bought game is Minecraft, with over 238.0 million units sold.
In conclusion, Minecraft holds the title of the highest selling video game of all time, with over 238.0 million units sold. Its open-ended gameplay, endless creativity, and dedicated community have contributed to its immense popularity. While other games like Grand Theft Auto V and Tetris (EA) have also achieved impressive sales numbers, Minecraft’s cultural impact and widespread appeal make it a standout success in the gaming industry.
If you’re looking to dive into the world of Minecraft or explore other games similar to it, be sure to check out our article on Which is the Most Like Game? for further recommendations.
- Shop Minecraft on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Shop Grand Theft Auto V on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Shop Tetris (EA) on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Shop Wii Sports on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop
- Shop PUBG: Battlegrounds on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Shop Mario Kart 8 on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop
- Shop Super Mario Bros. on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop
- Shop Red Dead Redemption 2 on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Shop Pokémon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Shop Terraria on: Amazon | Walmart | GameStop | Apple App Store | Google Play Store
- Ranked: The Best Selling Video Games in History
- Minecraft Official Website
- Grand Theft Auto V Official Website
- Tetris (EA) Official Website
- Wii Sports Wikipedia
- PUBG: Battlegrounds Official Website
- Mario Kart 8 Official Website
- Super Mario Bros. Wikipedia
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Website
- Pokémon Official Website
- Terraria Official Website